Thursday 14 January 2010

Creating Characters

I feel like I'm writing slowly in this weather - I HATE the cold. My fingers are all swollen, which makes it hard to type quickly, and my brain is sluggish, at best. However, I managed to write a few new scenes for new characters in Headliner. I subscribe to the slot-in-at-will method of writing. Linear progression is so last year. Why write in one direction when you can write in several? Hehehe...the latest player is Sophie Marquis, a Hollywood actress, with a decrepit old billionaire of a husband, Miles Fairchild, and a spoilt rich bitch socialite daughter, Roxanne.

Now, how will Sophie fit into the lives of my existing characters? Well, you'll have to read on, won't you?

How do other people create characters? Do you have a pre-set cast, or figure them out as you go along?

1 comment:

  1. I come up with a lot of characters at the beginning of the story. Then as the story progresses I tend to combine characters.

    I may start with 12 and end up with 6 or 8. First novel I had a busboy, a DEA agent and the Male Lead's bf - I combined the three into one and made him look like an antagonist until the final scene.

    I feel this tightens the story and brings the tension up.

    ReplyDelete